Wednesday 2 November 2011

Dressing up - or why you will never see me in jeans and a t-shirt


I love getting dressed up. For fancy dinner dates with my Hubby, or family lunches, or even just to go to the shops, I'm definitely an over-dresser rather than an under-dresser (if that makes sense). If I'm leaving the house, I like to look good, because then I feel good, and to me, that's half the battle won right there (if I'm not leaving the house, that's another story, then I am the Pajama Queen). But to me, getting dressed will 100 times out of a 100, mean putting on a dress or a skirt and blouse.

So, inspired by this post on Dreaming Spires, I thought I'd share with you some of the reasons why it is you will never see me in jeans and a t-shirt, or, chances are, any pair of trousers at all (unless we go walking together or some other sport/non-fashion activity). You might have noticed my penchant for dresses and skirts - and the occasional pair of shorts - but the truth is, I literally own only a handful of pairs of trousers, two black pairs from when I waitressed, and two ancient pairs of jeans, all horribly unflattering and unfashionable.

I last bought a pair of trousers (black skinnies) for fashion purposes about 4 years ago, and I'll admit, I loved them and wore to death, but when I ripped them, I never bothered to replace them. Why? Because my tastes had changes, and I'd realised a number of things

  1. Trousers do not suit me. At worst, they make me look butch, at best, horribly short. 
  2. I have fantastic legs, why would I cover those up?
  3. I have wide hips but skinny calves. Trousers make me look as wide as my widest point, which to me is totally illogical. It's simply a case of dressing to your body shape.
  4. Even if you're having a lazy/slobby//feeling ugly kind of day, it's hard to look too bad in a pretty little dress, which instantly makes me feel better
  5. Feel pretty, look pretty. This is essentially my life motto, right there, or, in other words, fake it 'til you make it. If you think you look good, or even if you just pretend to think you look good, that confidence makes other people think you look good, which reflects back to you and makes you feel good yadayadayada. My point being, I do not feel pretty in trousers.
Oh, and it's hard to shop for good fitting trousers and I'm terribly lazy. I know exactly what kind of dresses suit me, and I can find them any where, for any budget, so I just stick with that basically...

Reading back those read like terrible reasons, so I refer you to MJ's final point, I do it because I CAN. 

If you ever see me in jeans, you are fully entitled to heckle me in the street, I give you permission.


P.S. kudos to all you gorgeous women out there who rock trousers out there, I'm not knocking you, they're just not for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love receiving comments - I read them all! Leave a link to your blog (if you have one) because I love checking them out too xx

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...