Wednesday 3 August 2011

Currently obsessed with...

Nigella Lawson!


(Art print by Artylicious, totally amazing right? It's going on my wishlist) 

I tell a lie of course, because I am always obsessed with Nigella - I literally worship at the church of Nigella, anything she says, I'll do, she tells me to put marmite (which I hate) on spaghetti, I'll put marmite on spaghetti, AND I WILL ENJOY IT.

I do not have words for how much I adore this woman, her TV shows are a joy to watch, and her cookery books fantastic reads. Literally, ignoring the recipes, which are obviously very good, her books are just that, books, you can read them, not just dip in and out for the recipes, her writing style is glorious and she's so cozy and friendly and down-to-earth in her style. I'm gushing I know, and I know a lot of people think she's a bit too obsessed with the pomp and sex of cooking (her programmes are definitely a bit PG-13), and her latest books are full of pictures of her licking spoons seductively and wearing close fitting sweaters, but to you heretics, I say, go back to her first cookery book, before she had TV shows and all the rest, back when she was a skinny 30 something who looked like she smoked 50-a-day and possibly had a drug problem (not that I'm condoning either of those things but she looks like a total bad-ass in the ONE picture in that book) and the writing style is still the same. But to be honest, I adore all the glossy pictures and find her later books easier to follow in terms of walking through the recipes and finding new meal ideas.

Sorry that this post is so gushy, but I am all about the Nigella (with a little Nigel Slater on the side). 

(Seriously, ALL about the Nigella)

Who are your favourite chefs/cookbook authors? Are you as obsessed with Nigella as me (unlikely)? Are you, heaven forbid, a Delia kind of girl?

3 comments:

  1. I just can't get over how contrived her tv shows are, she does make very good food though.

    My number one if Hugh-Fearnley. Just want to live like him so bad. But I'm also obsessed with Ina Garten the Barefoot Contessa, got all of her books its just a pain converting from American measurements into British.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love that cover of Train Song :)
    And I am also a little obsessed with Nigella Lawson! I love her shows, and although she can get a bit PG-13, they're still enjoyable xx
    Sirens and Bells

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can see your point Mel, but honestly I think that is actually how she lives her life. She is a little ridiculous, and very OTT, but that's what I love about her! I find HFW a bit... patronising? I'm not really sure exactly but he's not a particularly warm character, and for all that I 110% agree with his chickens arguement, he can be a bit, "I'm-right-you're-wrong" which isn't very nice. I'll have to look into the other one you mentioned :)

    And Katy, it's heavenly right? Obviously I love the original too but I think it works really really well as a duet.

    xxx

    ReplyDelete

I love receiving comments - I read them all! Leave a link to your blog (if you have one) because I love checking them out too xx

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...